Monday, August 22, 2011

I LOVE this exercise!

A couple of weeks ago I heard from my first and primary bellydance teacher, Sandy (Bedia), because of this blog. She's scheduled for hip surgery and couldn't find much info regarding bellydancers and THR - I wish more dancers would write about their experiences, it would be so helpful to others who are facing that situation.

Sandy's always been into fitness and exercise, so after retiring from bellydance she went into teaching Pilates and Zumba. Of course, like so many other dancers and fitness professionals (including myself) who power on with their activities even through injuries and pain, she finally learned she was a candidate for hip replacement surgery. The silver lining is that I'm sure her level of fitness will help her recover quickly.

She gave me a great exercise I hadn't heard before, and I've added it to my day. It requires an appropriate slope where you can walk (I use my backyard):
1. Walk backwards up the hill
2. When at the top, turn 45 degrees, and walk downhill step together, step out, close etc.
3. At the bottom, come back uphill, same step.
4. At the top, turn 180 degrees, do downhill same step.
5. Come uphill same step.
6. Walk backwards down the hill.
This works weaker leg muscles, hamstrings, adductors, abductors.

I LOVE this exercise! You'd think from all the dance steps I'm used to doing it would be a piece of cake, but the first time I did it I could feel various leg muscles startng to burn half-way down the hill! It must be the angle of incline making the difference. Anyway, my neighbors will no doubt chalk it up to just another of my "weird" activities...

So I wonder how many dance and fitness professionals are "in the closet" about their physical ailments?
If you've decided to "come out" please connect with me: Anthea (Kawakib)

2 comments:

  1. One of the most useful belly dancing moves I did prior to my surgery was shimmying while seated. It's pretty much the same as doing it while standing, but because you're working against gravity by lifting your thighs off of the seat, it also works your quads a bit more than shimmying standing does.

    ReplyDelete