Sunday, October 14, 2012

How to make the "Crafty Cuts" Tribal Bellydance Outfit

This is a fun outfit - big thanks to one of my Recital guest soloists, Yabani Cicek, for the original halter pattern, which gave me the idea! I call it "Crafty Cuts" since there's little sewing involved. This stretch velvet material doesn't really fray so it's not even hemmed.
easy tribal look
Quick and easy costume

The Halter Top is a rectangle with two triangles cut out; and those triangles went into my jazz pants as side flares. Here's the halter top laying flat:
tribal bellydance halter top
Halter, done! Finger cymbals show scale.
 And with the neck straps tied to show where it goes over the head:
no sew halter top
Halter neck straps tied.
For the matching Hip Scarf worn under the woven tribal belt, I cut another velvet square diagonally into two triangles:

So I flipped one triangle around and tied them at the sides:
Hip scarf - it ties at each side of hip. Done!
For the Pant Flares, these offcuts from the Halter Top were trimmed up and inserted into the bottom sides of my jazz pants. I cut lengthwise right up the outer seam of each pant leg, and sewed in the flares. Much better, those jazz pants are BORING!
Halter top offcuts are a perfect fit for the pant flares!
And that Shrug? It's just a long tube, left un-sewn where the arms go... SEW easy!
This is the outfit I mentioned in my previous post
Dancing at Via Colori
We can belly dance in small spaces!

comfortable bellydance costume
tribal belt, yarn hair tassels complete the look
I wore this at a street art festival, Via Colori, in Fredericksburg, VA. Ken of Everybody Drum allowed me and a couple of buddies to come drum and dance at his Drum Dome; it was a great afternoon.

Does the tutorial make sense? Try it; it's a quick and easy outfit for informal performances like drum jams and class haflas. You can't beat a comfy costume!

  Anthea / Kawakib
- End of Post -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks for the post Kawakib! Putting this one in my future costume ideas file.

    ReplyDelete