Monday, August 11, 2014

Post-op at Pennsic!

"No sh*t, there I was..." at Pennsic!
2 months post-op I was able to go camp and teach at this yearly event after all, thanks to the help of many amazing people.

Last Saturday (a week ago) we had the Sequins and Shimmies fundraiser show here in Fredericksburg (more on that later); then Sunday I half rested, half supervised the packing of the truck. This year I took LESS stuff than ever, something I'm really happy about! Even so, it was a lot of work for my hubby to get my camping gear out of storage and into the truck by himself. He's so strong!

I had warned my Orluk Oasis campmates that if I did actually come I'd need a LOT of help, and they said "no problem" - so on Monday, with the truck all loaded up, I took a chance and started off!

The long trip wasn't bad, that's something I'd been concerned about, having to sit in the truck for so long; but it was fine. When I finally got down to camp Baris, Carla, and Kumo unloaded my stuff, set up my new tent, new cot, air mattress, and everything else.
I had managed to find a cot that was high enough (with the air mattress) so I didn't break my bending precautions; and the tent is tall enough to stand and walk around in.
I also had a new hard-seat chair to use so my hips didn't slide together as they would have in those folding cloth camp chairs.

Of course I did not go out of camp very much! I did manage to walk up to the Middle Eastern Tent for my Tribal Odyssey class on Wednesday; where Siyala helped me teach several combinations with finger cymbals. My good dance friend and fellow teacher Rajni of Orluk came as well, and helped lead the students. It was also a treat to have the amazing Neefa of Khafif (and also an Orlukian sister) in class too.

So, after standing up for the hour (no chairs in the tent), I walked back to camp, had lunch and rested for a while. But not for long, because it was the day of the Middle Eastern and World Dance Expo! And with my student Siyala set to perform her FIRST EVER SOLO I had to be there - plus she had no music with her, and I wanted to help drum. She totally rocked her number, to live drumming. I'm so proud of her! Here she is dancing while Malik, Mark Cheater, and I drum.
drumming and dancing onstage
Siyala dancing at Pennsic 

The lovely Rajni also performed one of my favorite pieces, the Funky Dance Combos to Arabic rhythms, playing finger cymbals to our live drumming too! Here is Rajni dancing and playing cymbals while Siyala, Mark Cheater and I back her with Arabic rhythms.
middle eastern dance expo at pennsic
Rajni dancing at the Expo 

I was backstage during sister Orlukian Kaheena's Tunisian Duet with Bambi, but here's a photo of this audience favorite:
folkloric dancers
Kaheena and Bambi, Tunisian Duet at the Expo

What fun! My Orluk sister Shakti and I were lucky enough to catch bus rides for the Expo trip, with a stop at Cafe Merhaba for refreshment afterwards. So it was an amazing and wonderful day!

The rest of the week was just resting, visiting, noshing, and enjoying camp life with my crazy, wonderful buddies. On Saturday I packed my gear again, several of our strong Orluk men pitched in to pack my truck, and I came home much happier and healthier than when I arrived.

Although I wasn't able to keep up with my physical therapy exercise routine while camping (it was tiring enough just getting around), I did get stronger from all the exertion. When I first got to camp I was still using a crutch all the time, but mid-week I began taking a few steps without it; and by the end of the week I could walk without assistance for about 20 yards or so; just not very gracefully! Actually, I lurched around kind of like Frankenstein, but whatever!

Words can't even describe how grateful I am to everyone for helping me get to Pennsic, teach, and even get to the Dance Expo; without the help of so many wonderful people it would have been impossible. ORLUK ROCKS!
campers in front of Orluk gate
campers from Orluk Oasis, Roman Road, w10, Pennsic

(Note: the Funky Dance Combos are available to learn online here)
Anthea Kawakib, also known as Atesh
- End of Post -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment