Saturday, August 23, 2014

swinging your hips is not just for dancing!

What does walking really feel like?

I'm excited! When I got home after physical therapy yesterday I tried the "new walk".
One of my therapists had previously told me that I wasn't "swinging my hips" when I walked, that instead I was limping; that is, carrying my weight in my upper torso and shifting it from side to side, instead of my hips.
When he told me that, I did try shifting my weight from side to side in my hips, but my leg didn't feel strong enough to carry my full weight, as each leg has to do when you walk.
The feedback I get from this particular therapist is spot on and helps me be aware of how my body is moving. He showed me again that I was dropping my hip while walking instead of stabilizing all the muscles around the hip. My leg was too tired at his office to really work well, but when I got home I tried it again.
And finally I did it - the muscles in my leg DID feel strong enough to support my weight while walking - though I can only do it for a short time before getting tired and sore.
It's been such a long time since I could walk that way! It feels pretty amazing, let me tell you. It actually feels "right"!

Body-Mind Consciousness

When a hip joint begins to deteriorate the muscles get sore from trying to stabilize the joint; and the body starts compensating to avoid that pain, almost without conscious thought. The body has a mind of its own, and it doesn't like sharp pains - it'll do whatever it has to in order to avoid them! And that's how limping starts. In fact, "avoiding pain" starts to filter every movement the body makes so that before long, your entire movement vocabulary changes.
It's kind of interesting to watch my performance and how-to videos just prior to surgery; when you know my hip is not working right you can see me compensating for it; but I have to say, I think I do a pretty good job of compensating!

Hello Again Hips!

So now I'm becoming aware of what it means, and feels like, to move "normally" again. Yes, I'm trying to "swing my hips" now when I walk, though when I get tired, I start to limp - then the cane comes out. That will only be for a short time though.
Every day is a learning experience as I get acquainted with my hip muscles again! It's pretty cool, because I enjoy learning, and I can't wait to dance again - in a couple of months.... I know it will feel so different!
hips motion gif
bellydance students swinging their hips
Anthea Kawakib
- End of Post -
~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment