Monday, September 19, 2011

My fifth tumble off a horse, but who's counting?!

So now I can relax, I've had my first horseback fall since I got my hip replacement, and all seems well.

You never know which horse will dump you. I think it's the quiet ones you have to look out for! You just don't expect it from a horse who's notoriously dead to the leg like Velvet. But put her next to a little firecracker of a pony with an attitude and watch the hooves fly!
All I know is that we were quietly warming up in the arena and passed little Belle (who's quick to take offence to other horses, especially other mares), and Velvet exploded sideways. Turns out Belle tried to give her a little kick as we passed, just for the heck of it... 
Velvet's sideways dance brought us right into a corner where a jump butted up to the fence, and I tumbled off. I hit the ground sideways, and of course on the same side with my artificial hip! Luckily though my ribs took the brunt of the fall, and I've got plenty of ribs, so no worries. It rang my bell pretty good when my helmet hit though. I can't imagine NOT wearing a helmet! That is just plain dumb.
So my ribs are pretty sore and it's hard to take a deep breath, but my hip is only a trifle sore to the touch. I'll take a day off from exercise and dance and see how I feel tomorrow. I don't have to dance until mid-week anyway!

Sweet Black Velvet

No comments:

Post a Comment