Monday, April 12, 2010

Think happy thoughts!

Two days to go until surgery. I'll be glad to get my “hip job” but at the same time I'm nervous about the anesthesia and immediate recovery. Not much I can do about it though. I'm still trying to be happy and excited. hmmm

My hip still hurts a bunch, so I'm still using a crutch most of the time. I do walk around without it, to get some housework done etc., but after an hour of that it ends up pretty sore. Doing a couple of rounds of those special exercises for my leg every day also adds to the soreness. Am taking a double dose of Tylenol arthritis twice a day.

I went to my usual horse lesson Sunday just to visit my favorite horse, hand graze him, and then lunge him a little bit, something new I'm learning. This is a perfect opportunity, since I can't ride right now. I'm not real good at it, but at least it gives me something to do horse-wise. I'm really going to miss my “barn time” until I can get over there again in the car.

I'm pretty close to having everything done that I wanted to have done before this “leave of absence”. My performing group's done the two shows we had scheduled; I've met or chatted with my teaching substitutes, one last sub meeting. I've prepared & given them class plans and related class materials. My students are all so supportive and encouraging it really helps set my mind at rest.

I keep going back to http://dancerhips.com/stories.html - especially Kathryn Cardy's story which is so inspiring to me as she's so detailed about her recovery – as well as a much more entertaining writer than I am. However, sitting upright is painful after a while, so I sprinkle in reading with my office work before I have to get up. That's the pattern of my days here for the past month or so: a little of this, a little of that, and then a couple hours of reclining while the pain subsides. Very odd after being so active. I'm sure my stamina & muscle strength is decreasing loads, but I hope that turns around after my surgery.

So today we're off to pick up the contraptions (walker, shower chair, etc.) I'll need when I get home. Also we'll be putting a twin mattress on top of my side of the bed to raise it up higher, as they have freaked us out about how, after the surgery, I'm not supposed to bend my hip more than 90 degrees or it could dislocate. That doesn't sound like fun at all.

Happy thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment